Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Abundance and Sun Salutations

I have been busy playing with photoshop lately but did take some time away from the computer to work on some non-digital art. I'll post some of the photoshop stuff when I have something interesting. This first piece is an affirmation that I have been thinking about, talking about and living for a while now... probably the last seven years. It started when we bought our first home and I felt so unbelievably blessed with good fortune. However, I was also a bit afraid that if I really enjoyed the abundance in my life, that it would somehow be taken away. So I started working on believing that there was enough abundance for everyone and getting rid of my "scarcity" mentality... thinking that there was not enough to go around. One of the most amazing things to come out of this shift in being and thinking is that I have my own studio to create and play in. It is truly a dream come true that I know many artists can relate to. I remember being 14 years old when I claimed myself as an artist and first dreamed of having a studio to work in. Aside from my fabulous art place, I have tons of other wonderful reasons to believe in abundance so this piece is like my offering to the goddess of Abundance. I think she might feel honored by the making of art. This next piece came out of my yoga class. We had a substitute teacher which always puts me in a bit of a snit because I love my yoga teacher and tend to idealize her - thinking that no other teacher has anything to teach me - which I know is just plain wrong. Usually the class is almost over before I can manage to stop the judgemental chatter that I have going on inside my head about how much better my teacher is than this sub. At the same time I am actually grateful that the sub is filling in so that I can attend the class. In this particular class we were doing a lot of sun salutations and I was getting cranky about it since I am very familiar with this series of postures and tend to do them on my own when not in class. Fortunately I was able to come to my senses and realized that sun salutations are beautiful and that my being familiar with them does not diminish that. I realized that this series is like a moving "thank you" to the sun for rising everyday and especially when practiced in a group setting like my class, it is a wonderful experience. It actually cracks me up now to think of how silly I was being. I'm also grateful to have come to the realization when I did so that I could actually enjoy the experience instead of being so cranky that I missed out on something sublime. I think the "come to your senses" fairy bonked me on the head in that class and I'm glad she did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And Dori, the fairy got you to type this wonderful post! These picture collages are absolutely beautiful. Thanks for your comments to me.

I guess it isn't frivolous if it makes us happy.

Did your check for our adventure clear? Mine did!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Could I use your pictures for my self-inspirational video? You can find more infomration here: http://www.visionstatement.org.au/home.html

It's just for my own personal use?
asrai.rd@gmail.com